- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 stalks organic celery, chopped
- 2 organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup room temperature water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 28oz cans kitchen ready plum tomatoes
- Black pepper, fresh from mill
1 . Heat oil on medium in a large stock pot. Add minced garlic, stir, then add chopped onion, carrot and celery to the pot. Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring vegetables to coat well.
3. Stir in nutmeg.
4. Add wine, let simmer until evaporated.
5. Add tomatoes, stir thoroughly. As it starts to bubble, add water, stir until incorporated into the sauce, turn the heat down to a low simmer. Stir often until the heat comes down to simmer.
6. Cook, uncovered, for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste to check salt and pepper preference, add if necessary.